Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Post I Don't Want to Write

I hate to even get into this, but I feel like I should say something, because it's the most lurid story in the news right now, even though it is 10 years old. Of course, I'm talking about the JonBenet Ramsey murder, and the recent 'confession' of the man arrested for it. Let me summarize my position:

I don't think he did it. I think he's nuts.

I will leave it to you to check out what his family and neighbors and everyone else has to say about him, but my reasons have actually very little to do with him. Mainly:

  1. Patsy Ramsey (JonBenet's mother) died about six weeks ago of cancer. Now, suddenly, this guy gets arrested for the murder? I don't entirely understand that connection, but I can speculate (in my head -- you speculate in your own head, please).
  2. John Ramsey made an unsuccessful run at the Michigan State House of Representatives a couple of years ago. Undoubtedly, his campaign was tainted by the large numbers of people who believe he had something to do with murdering his daughter. Finding a 'murderer' now could really bolster his future election chances.
  3. This guy, John Mark Karr, is basically out-to-lunch. He has been obsessed with both the Ramsey case and the Polly Klass case, and has researched and written about them, but he seems to be really loused up on the timeline regarding JonBenet (he picked her up from school on Christmas Day, or the Day after Christmas??).

Yes, this is all speculation, and I'm sure there are LOTS of things we don't know. But... something just doesn't smell right about this whole deal.

More to come, unfortunately, I'm sure.

No comments: